Inventory Unit Detail
2016 Yamaha FZ09
Twin Cities Yamaha
850cc 3 cylinders, 3 Modes....Awesome!!! One Blue at this Price! Best price of the Decade!
Total Blast - Total Deal - FZ-09
The FZ-09's powerful 847cc in-line 3-cylinder crossplane crankshaft concept engine delivers huge torque combined with a lightweight chassis and slim design for incredible handling.
- Powerful Inline-Triple: 847cc liquid-cooled, in-line 3-cylinder, DOHC, 12-valve engine with fuel injection. This FZ-09™ engine combines advanced high tech components including YCC-T® and Yamaha D-Mode, with a crossplane concept crankshaft to deliver an exciting, torquey and quick-revving engine character.
- Crossplane Concept: “Crossplane Crankshaft Concept” provides linear torque development in response to the rider’s throttle input. The FZ-09’s in-line 3-cylinder engine provides linear torque development, even firing intervals for smooth torque characteristics and a good feeling of power in the low- to mid-rpm range. The CP3® engine is also light, slim and compact and offers performance that combines the best characteristics of both 2-cylinder and 4-cylinder engines.
- Advanced YCC-T: The ride-by-wire Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle (YCC-T) system senses the slightest throttle input by the rider, relays the data to the ECU, which instantaneously calculates the ideal throttle valve opening based on engine rpm and throttle opening, and then sends commands to a servo-motor actuator that moves the throttle valve which actively controls the intake airflow volume. This is a technology contributing to the rider’s feeling of torque and controllability from the 3-cylinder engine.
- Selectable D-MODE: The FZ-09 is equipped with Yamaha’s D-MODE (“Drive Mode”) variable throttle control system to allow the rider to choose the optimum engine character for their riding situation. The rider can choose from three throttle valve control maps (Standard Mode, “A” Mode, and “B” Mode) for different performance characteristics at the push of a button. STD Mode is set to accommodate a wide range of riding conditions, for a linear torque feeling from low speeds all the way up to high speeds. A-Mode gives the rider a sharper throttle response in the low-to mid-rpm range than the STD Mode, while B-Mode lets the rider enjoy milder throttle response.
- Advanced 3-Cylinder Engine: 847cc liquid-cooled 4-stroke, in-line 3-cylinder, DOHC, 4-valve engine with downdraft intake and fuel injection. With a 78mm x 59.1mm bore x stroke and 11.5:1 compression ratio, it produces an exciting, torquey and quick-revving engine character.
- Crossplane Concept CP3® Engine: Some of the advantages of the 3-cylinder engine in the FZ-09 include linear torque development due to the even firing intervals that provide smooth torque characteristics and a good feeling of power up into the low- to mid-rpm range, as well as combining desirable characteristics of both 2-cylinder and 4-cylinder engines. In addition, the engine design can be light, slim and compact.
- Vibration-Reducing Counterbalancer: To reduce vibration and help give a smoother ride, the engine has a primary coupled-force balancer that revolves in the opposite direction and at the same speed as the crankshaft.
- Fracture-Split Connecting Rods: The forged connecting rods are made using the fracture split (FS) method to ensure a high degree of precision in the rod’s big-end ring for a precise fit and smoother crank revolution. The fracture split method is where the big-end ring of a connecting rod is split in two by applying a sharp impact. This creates a perfectly matching split surface that naturally produces a much more precise mating surface when they are bolted together again around the crankshaft.
- Unique Staggered Intake Funnels: To provide both exciting and quick revving torque characteristics and a unique intake sound, the 3-cylinder intake funnels have been designed with uneven lengths. The first cylinder funnel is 102.8mm, the second 82.8mm and the third is 122.8mm. This combines with the effects of the YCC-T system to contribute to an excellent torquey engine character.
- Compact 6-Speed Transmission: The FZ-09 transmission takes full advantage of the low-to-mid-range torque and excellent response characteristics of this in-line, 3-cylinder fuel-injected engine. The 6-speed transmission has been designed to be very compact, enhancing the overall narrow 3-cylinder design.
- Compact, Sporty Chassis: The wheelbase, seat height, fuel tank width, rake and other dimensions are all set to work with the qualities of the compact 3-cylinder engine to achieve a sporty, light and neutral handling character, an upright riding position and a narrow feeling chassis at the seat/tank junction.
- Adjustable Inverted Fork: For excellent damping characteristics, the front suspension is an inverted fork with 41mm inner tubes with 5.4 inches of travel. The front suspension features adjustment for spring preload and rebound damping.
- Adjustable Horizontal Monocross® Shock: The rear suspension features a linked-type Monocross® shock. The shock is positioned below the seat and features an almost horizontal alignment. This unique positioning contributes to mass centralization and a slimmer body design. The rear suspension is also adjustable for spring preload and rebound damping.
- Lightweight Wheels: 10-spoke lightweight cast aluminum wheels are used, fitted with a 120/70ZR17 front tire and 180/55ZR17 rear tire. The tires have been designed with an optimally-tuned internal structure that contributes to good handling stability.
- Powerful Braking: Front brakes consist of two floating 298mm discs with radially-mounted 4-pot opposed piston calipers.
- Tapered Handlebar: The aluminum, tapered-type handlebars – a first for a Yamaha sportbike – provide a good balance of strength and light weight.
- Ergonomically Designed Fuel Tank: The fuel tank, with its deeply recessed knee grip area, contributes to a narrow seat/tank juncture.
- Stylish, Functional Mirrors: Compact, hexagonal-type rearview mirrors match the “mass forward” design of the rest of the bike.
- Advanced Instrumentation and Controls: A newly designed lightweight, compact, full LCD instrument panel is adopted. The tachometer has a digital bar-type display with gear position indicator. The electric starter button is a new slide-type that incorporates the engine cut-off switch for a modern, high-quality appearance.
- Forged Controls: The brake pedal, shift pedal and footrests are made of forged aluminum for light weight and excellent appearance.
- LED Lighting: The LED taillight has separate left and right lamps that illuminate when the taillight is on and across the entire lens when the brake light is on.
- Engine Type: 847cc liquid-cooled DOHC inline 3-cylinder 4-stroke; 12 valves
- Bore x Stroke: 78.0mm x 59.1mm
- Compression Ratio: 11.5:1
- Fuel Delivery: Yamaha Fuel Injection with YCC-T
- Ignition: TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
- Transmission: 6-speed; multiplate wet clutch
- Final Drive: Chain
- Suspension / Front: 41mm inverted fork, adjustable preload and rebound damping; 5.4-in travel
- Suspension / Rear: Single shock, adjustable preload and rebound damping; 5.1-in travel
- Brakes / Front: Dual hydraulic disc, 298mm
- Brakes / Rear: Hydraulic disc, 245mm
- Tires / Front: 120/70ZR17
- Tires / Rear: 180/55ZR17
- L x W x H: 81.7 in. x 32.1 in. x 44.7 in.
- Seat Height: 32.1 in.
- Wheelbase: 56.7 in.
- Rake (Caster Angle): 25.0 deg.
- Trail: 4.1 in.
- Ground Clearance: 5.3 in.
- Fuel Capacity: 3.7 gal.
- Fuel Economy: 44 mpg
- Wet Weight: 414 lb.
- Warranty: 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
NOTES:Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road conditions, how you ride and maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight. Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is useful in making real-world comparisons with other models.
- Engine Type
- DOHC Inline 3-cylinder 4-stroke; 12 valves
- Bore and Stroke
- 78.0mm x 59.1mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Yamaha Fuel injection with YCC-T
- TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
- Front Suspension
- 41mm inverted fork, adjustable preload and rebound damping; 5.4-in travel
- Rear Suspension
- Single shock, adjustable preload and rebound damping; 5.1-in travel
- Front Brakes
- Dual hydraulic disc, 298mm
- Rear Brakes
- Hydraulic disc, 245mm
- Front Tire
- Rear Tire
- 56.7 in.
- Seat Height
- 32.1 in.
- 25.0 deg.
- 4.1 in.
- Fuel Capacity
- 3.7 gal.
- 44 mpg
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 414 lb.
- 6-speed; multiplate wet clutch
- Final Drive
- Raven, Impact Blue, Armor Gray
- 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)